Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Washing
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:24:37 +0200

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Karen Nakamura wrote:
>
>>  The biggest water usage is the rinse, but even that you can do in
>>  about 2 liters if you're careful.
>
>Agreed. I have been doing it this way and if you follow the Ilford method
>(fill tank, 5 inversions, fill tank, 10 inversions, fill tank 20
>inversions) there isn't a trace of fixer left. I usually double the first
>and last steps for good measure. The first, in order to rinse out the
>fixer, the last, because I still have water left over.
>
>A chemist (I think he was) tested Ilford's recommendation and his report
>is that it actually works. This is assuming your are using a fixer without
>hardener in it.
>
>Daniel

What he also said, if we mean the same guy, is that it important to
'sling' off as much water as possible  from the film and the reels
between each rinse so that practically no water with hypo is
transferred from one washing bath to the other. Also empty the tank
completely between baths.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist