Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: North American Blackout
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:37:41 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/03 12:23:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
chris@almqvist.net writes:

> A gallon of water would be enough to develop the first film,
>  subsequent ones would take less. In need I can hand jerk the pump or
>  throw a bucket down  the  well and  pull it up using a string. I knew
>  this is a great place, now I appreciate it even more.
Before Edison (around 1900), everybody processed film and prints the above
way. I have shots of English nobles processing their plates in tents on their
mansion grounds. That's how Brady did his work in the field during the Civil War.

A darkroom now is sheer joy. We have Ilford and Kodak to make the chemicals
and films and papers. Things don't explode as they did in the 1850s. We have
great enlargers and timers. Photography was once a cottage industry and a highly
respected craft. I hope it continues to be.

br