Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: North American Blackout
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:11:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/03 12:01:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dante@umich.edu
writes:

> It's interesting that you mention battery-operated cameras.  When you
>  lose both electricity and water, the only thing that is capable of
>  going on producing new output  is a Polaroid.  Digital cameras are
>  completely useless; even the most mechanical M cannot produce output,
>  since you can't develop film without huge volumes of water, something
>  which goes bye-bye in tandem with the electricity (since pumps don't
>  operate).
There's this difference: The image is on the film in an M. Maybe you can't
get it immediately in print form; but it's there in all its potential.

Reminds me what happned a few days ago. I visited the office of my insurance
agent to insure four of my cameras, including my 5050 digital and Leica CL.
His SOP is to photograph the objects he insures. Out he came with a digital
camera. It didn't work; the batteries were dead. He ran in and got a Polaroid and
fired away. He got his four prints and I got my floater insurance.

Lets not throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.

br