Subject: Re: [Leica] It's only leica photos peeps...
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:18:45 -0700

At 6:44 PM -0400 8/14/03, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>  >So again, should I feel free to include my Canon EOS photography
>>here? I'm sure plenty of people would benefit from my incredible
>
>Karen, yes. BUT, please label them as Leica EOS photos.
>
>>We'll do just fine without non-Leica material on the Leica list and I
>>don't think we're going to wither up and die anytime soon.
>
>We shan't die soon indeed. However, we will probably mostly all stop
>shooting film pretty soon.
>
>We're all leica people, but I think the users on the list, more and more,
>find their leicas on the shelves and (as someone so truthfully pointed out)
>dry fired in front of the t.v. but it's the community that makes this
>different than the oly list or the nikon list (which I belong to, but I
>never ever post to because, heck, they all talk about cameras and if I tried
>to start a thread there about cookware or drills, nobody would bother to
>respond.) we may not talk about the cameras so much, but they're there in
>our hearts....
>
>Post what you will, I shall look at it.
>
>KC
>
>Proud owner of a Leica d100.

Exactly.

I'm on about 12 lists, but this is the only one I read regularly,
because of the people. I use various formats and also digital, but
the Canon and Nikon lists bore me to death and the medium format list
is dry to the point of tinder, except it never burns.

Even these endless arguments of digital vs. film are more
interesting, because at least a bit of passion and experience
(usually) show show through.

I'm partially digital, with a Canon D60 and a Digital Elph. The Elph
paid for itself in very short order, because as an architect I need
to record issues/problems on building sites all the time, and with
film it got recorded, developed and printed and rarely ever looked at
again. Now it gets recorded, saved to CD and rarely looked at again,
which is a lot cheaper.

It gets looked at again if a problem surfaces, and it gets looked at
a lot if a legal case evolves.   ....I hope few of these pictures get
looked at again :-).

The D60, which I bought used when the 10D came out, is fine at
present. For my architectural photography line of work it has
limitations which are possible to overcome. If I need a 120 degree
angle of view, I take 4 views with my 16-35 zoom, and then use
RealViz Stitcher to correct the distortion in the lens and combine
them into one 15+ Megapixel image. A bit fussy, but it works, as
buildings rarely shift between frames. If they do, the person who
designed the building ususally doesn't want a picture of them anyway.
The quality and general result usually outdo the C-V 12mm on a Leica.
The nuisance of film and development and scanning are about equal to
the nuisance of taking 4 images and combining them. And if necessary,
I can put 9 or 16 images together with the Canon.

Slow autofocus isn't much of an issue either.

The adjustable white balance is a huge benefit for interiors.

Shift lenses aren't required for digital photos, as Photoshop is
better, so the fact that my 24/3.5 TS is now a 38mm lens doesn't
matter; I use the 16-35 instead.

If I want to do a really good job, the 4x5's are standing by, as is
the 150 Noblex.

Group shots and other stuff that will go directly to 8x10 prints are
still handled best by 2-1/4 cameras.

For people, I use the Leicas, and for general walking around. HP5 and
Delta 100 in Leicas cannot yet be matched by digital cameras, no
matter how many megapixels they sport.

Occasionally I use the Leica standard from 1932 with uncoated Elmar
for a completely different look.

Some Leicas will always be with me. The rest of the film cameras, who
knows...? I will get more advanced and capable digital cameras, but I
probably won't get any other film cameras.

I hope the LUG will continue through all of this. It is Leicas, but
also more than Leicas. With all the photo lists and discussion groups
I have been on in the last 15 years, this is the only one that truly
has my friends on it.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design