Subject: [Leica] Leica M digital back
From: Ian Watts <watts@firebomb.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:21:46 +0100

Gregoire_Vandenschrick wrote:

> Ok, so, I was dreaming of a full scale digital back for leica M.

I've never understood this desire for a digital back for the M. An
integrated digital body would be great - especially if it has the same feel
and form factor of the present M generation. I would even be interested if
it was less than full frame and turned a 21mm or 24mm into a 35mm field of
view. However, what I'm not interested in - largely because I don't see the
point of it - is some digital gizmo that fits into the space occupied by the
pressure plate flap. I would have thought that the task of digitizing the M
system is difficult enough (for both engineering and economic reasons)
without having to find a solution which would work (most probably in some
half-arsed way) with existing M bodies. For what it's worth, I also think
the proposed R digital back is a mistake. Were I an R system user I would
much rather buy an integrated digital R body than mess around adapting an
existing film body with the proposed Heath Robinson digital add on.

Just a few thoughts.

Ian Watts