Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M digital back
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:20:36 +0200

by the interchangeable back I meant this flappable pressure plate. It is
removable on my M6 TTL, and on my M3 if I remeber well, I supposed so that
this part is removable on all leica Ms, is it not the case? One of the two
pins on which the plate turns (the one on which a little screw is attached)
can be recessed and the flappable back can be removed (to clean the dust
from occulting cloth on the flapping side for example). I hope one time
Leica will come back to the device that equipped the flappable plate of the
M3, with the little spring balls that keep the back in place while one put
back the bottom plate, this was a useful thing. And I KNOW there is not
usual interchangeable backs wich prints hour and date on the picture like on
Nikons and other brands, I own two Leica M and use them, but maybe this was
a misunderstanding due to my poor english, if so, I'm sorry, do apologize
this please.

I just wanted to share some ideas with all of you, but maybe this is not the
place to

Am I right or wrong?

Greg VDS

ps. A reflexion about Leica evolution:

When Leica begun its journey in photography, with the Ur-Leica, they choose
the most advanced media possible, the most promising tool for the future,
the 35mm rollfilm. At that time, a lot of people were thinking this was a
silly way, not useful, not serious enough for taking good photography. We
know all what happend, glass plate photography died, even 120 rollfilm are
no more used massively in regard to 35mm film or digital media. Don't get me
wrong here, I'm really attached to silver photography, I make a lot of lab,
and don't trust too much electronic. But this seems to be the future, no
doubt, even if film will stay available for long, but not with its current
diversity (oil painting still exists I mean, but for another purpose now
than in the past, Who goes to the painter to have his portrait done now,
appart some royal families in Europe or some excentric guy?) So we'll always
be able to buy silver classic film and chemical, but maybe in only few
places, maybe artshop supply or I don't know where, and the media will no
more be used for the same purpose, it WILL be supplanted in the majorities
of the application fields of photography.

So, Leica should think about it, the upmost strong point of Leica is their
ability to produce wonderful optical system. But they now have a past in
photography, quite weighty I mean, in comparisson to their debut time in
photography. Look at what they present as new bodies. They have practically
no space to change, they tried with the M5, and they had their response to
this essay, rejected. So now, when they do a new body, the M7, the MP, they
fear to hurt so much the body practically doesn't change (again, if I had
the money, those two would be part of my gear already, just to be sure you
understand me).

They try to make their way to digital, and I'm not talking about fuji
reboxed here, but about the digital back of the R8/R9. It was somehow
previsible by the way they devellop this new system (you know a lot of
motordrive that need so much contacts?)

So, I was just trying to imagine the digital Leica M, without this being a
completely new camera, just with an M bayonet, but rather well a device
every M user could add to its system and in the same league of quality.

And to finish, let's play a game, read again my description of the leica M
digital back, dream a little of the resolution you want, the feature you
want, let's say it exists, who of you would buy this device for a typical
leica price, let's say 3000euros/US$ something like that, a new body so?

Answer this, to see

Best

Greg VDS