Subject: RE: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents - now sloppy digital ?
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:35:34 -0400

Hi rich,

>      One problem for photographers with either bulk loading
> or digital, is to keep attention on composing the best in
> the viewfinder, rather than just banging away because
> 'I've got lots and it's cheep, maybe something will work'
> Because more often, my 'keepers' are the ones when
> I took the extra step to consider the shot.

I would think serious photographers, even when using free
film, do take the extra step. If I gave you a free roll
of film, would you should shoot sloppily just because it's free ?
Does a serious writer write more sloppily just because paper
and ink is cheap ? Wouldn't there be fewer good books
if writers have to watch their paper and ink budget ?

That said, I do appreciate though that while cheap film
makes for better photographs, it makes a whole lot more of
bad photographs, just because there are proportionately
more of those.  Same with books.

Anyway, my point is that the main benefit of digital
for me is not so much in the number of shots, but
the number of "shoot-edit-learn from mistake-shoot again"
cycles offered by the fast digital workflow.

It's ironic that I should be such a digital apologist
at the moment, as I am trying to set up a workflow
to produce 11x14 and 13x19 B&W prints, probably with
Tri X.

Let me put it this way. IF (big IF) I have a way
to produce high quality scans from film as fast
as I can with digital, at about the same quality and
cost, I will throw away my digital camera.
Not so much because film is higher quality than digital
which it still is in some situations, but because
I am at this point in time still better at producing
images to my liking with film than with digital.
But that's changing very fast.

Cheers,

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents - now sloppy digital ?)