Subject: RE: [Leica] NEW BOOK RELEASE. - This is Ted's Work
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:56:06 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:
> "DOCTORS' WORK. The Legacy of Sir William Osler."

I have the first edition of this book, and I highly
recommend it. While I have ownedmany photo books, I actually
have kept only a few around.    What is most telling is that
the subject matter did not interest me at first.  In the end,
the book won me over with the quality of the photography,
and thru it managed to show me the humanity in Sir Osler's
and the doctors' work.  The high quality of reproduction helps much
in this regard.  A bonus is the separate accompanying photographic
notes that gives some technical details on the photos.
Dollar for dollar, this book is worth more than most of my
Leica gear.  After a couple of years, this book now has surpassed
the late Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" among my favorites.

A warning:  Ted Grant is a superb photographer, and teacher,
but a lousy businessman with a lousy business manager/agent
if he even has one. :-) (He didn't even mention the price
in his announcement). I know of many photographers
at the regional, national and international levels who are
not half as good, but are much much better at promoting
themselves.

That Ted chose to spend years on this project rather than
shooting sports and other celebrities, which he has proved
that he can do very successfully, is also telling.  This
is the work of love of a photographer with more than 50 years
of experience.  Of all the things he could photograph,
he chose this one, not once, but twice with the Women in
Medicine project.  If you are in the medical profession, you
doubly owe it to yourself to buy this book.  Buy one copy
to keep, buy several to give: Medicine and Photography.

The title of the original edition was: "This is Our Work.
The Legacy of Sir William Osler".  In an indirect way, it
tells us that it is also Ted's work. It took me a while,
but I liked that now, and prefer it over the new title.

CAVEAT: I have not seen the second edition of the book.
And of course, I am not employed by, related to or
affiliated with Ted Grant.  I would be honored to be,
despite his infamy as one of the Gang of Four on the LUG :-)

- - Phong

P.S. By the way, Sir Osler at one point was teaching at the
University of Pennsylvania, where our own Kyle is now
employed, albeit in a different field.  While living
in the Philadelphia area,  Sir Osler befriended the American
poet Walt Whitman.

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] NEW BOOK RELEASE. - This is Ted's Work)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] NEW BOOK RELEASE. - This is Ted's Work)