Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out some realnumbers?
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:40:04 -0700

At 05:39 AM 8/6/2003 -0700, Ted Grant wrote:
> >It is like if you have to calculate the trajectory of a ball given all the
> >variables, you gotta have some fancy math, but most human learn to throw a
> >ball fairly well after a few tries. And the ball is thrown usually just as
> >well even if some thing change (e.g. moving farther apart). Does your brain
> >perform all the calculus or differential equations? Probably not, but
> >somewhere something is learnt.<<<
>
>Thanks Richard for the explanation. So in effect, I don't relate to it
>because my years of experince have built in a release corerction time I'm
>not even aware is there? Correct?

Exactly. I think we are spoiled, well, I guess paying over-priced
equipments does mean something - a lag of, oh, I don't know, say, under
50msecs (0.05) of a second is probably not noticeably by people unless they
do some critical comparisons. Of course Leicas are in the range of
0.01-0.02 secs! This is the difference in winning and making a world record
100 meter sprint! Personally I don't care if one Leica is 12 msecs and the
other one is 22 msecs. They are all very short. Much shorter than other
things out there. Actually, I care just because I am a gearhead and useless
knowledge like that fills my skull :-)

How quick can a human jump? I am thinking of the HCB's "jump" picture.
Whatever the lag time of his shutter was, he knew exactly when to press
that shutter. Some one just caught an eyeblink and it looks to be 1/8 of a
second, about 10x slower than our Leicas! So you're right that we should
worry less and just go out and take pictures!

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>