Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:16:45 -0700

Yeah, BD, but try to dodge and burn with your hands and little tools
and then even approach the ability for control of the tonal range with
digital in Photoshop. Not to mention what layers and filters and other
controls that are available. Especially with RAW files in 16 bits.

Absolute black and white might be a bit better with film at this point,
and DMAX, but I've never had any problem getting the blacks I want with
a high end dye-sub printer.

Densitometers are great, and all that, but they can't make art. :-)

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 06:43  AM, bdcolen wrote:

> This is where we part company, Eric. I am a believer in digital.
> But...While you can get excellent black and white results with a
> digital
> file if you know what you're doing, black and white digital does not
> yet
> equal black and white film in terms of the final result, whether
> printed
> digitally or using a wet process.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"There exists a limit to the force even the most powerful may apply
without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry
of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a
tool of vengeance, never a hostage, nor a mortification against the
martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape
the consequences."
- --  Frank Herbert