Subject: Re: [Leica] "real photography"
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:55:40 -0700

Frank Theriault wrote:

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1639375&size=lg
>
> I was blown away (not because it's a good shot)!  The actual print
> takes on
> a 3D quality that just isn't there in the scan!  The background fades
> into
> the - well, the background - and the young lady takes on a rounded
> "almost
> there" look.  There is information in the print that is simply not in
> the
> scan.

Put the image on your screen, then move your chair back so that you're
looking at it from about 1.5m - 2m away (with a 15" LCD monitor on my
PowerBook -- you may have to sit futher away if your screen is larger).
  See the difference?  The information is there.  Most images on the web
are presented too large for the viewing distance.  The increasing size
of screens doesn't help either.

M.