Subject: Re: [Leica] Speedier Rewind of screwmount, M3 & M2...
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:27:41 -0400

Hi Rich,

I am always amused when the subject of knob rewind vs. crank rewind turns up. A lot of the discussion of the MP/M6-M7 differences have made much of the "old" knob design being so much slower and more difficult than the crank. I finally got off my duff and loaded a waste roll (24 exp.) into a Canon IVSB screwmount camera I had that was empty. I shot blanks to the end of the roll, and then timed the rewind operation including the flip of the rewind lever. It took 22 seconds.

Then I loaded the same roll into my M6, shot blanks to the end of the roll, and timed the rewind operation including the flip of the rewind lever on front of the camera. It took 20 seconds. I thought maybe it was a fluke and that the screwmount camera I used was smoother and faster than an ordinary SM Leica. Since all my Leicas are loaded and mid-roll, I picked a Zorki-1, (clone of the 1932 Leica II). Same routine and the time for rewind of the roll was 22 seconds.

Nuff said - now don't ask me about loading comparisons as I love the M6 simplicity, and just tolerate the screwmounts.

Regards,
Paul Connet