Subject: Re: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:39:38 -0700

But to say that Digital is "good enough" implies it is inferior to
silver based filmforms.
This is not necessarily the case. A better compliment is needed.
I remember when the photographer down the street got his first Epson
photo x printer something like that about 8 years ago and started
covering his walls with color A3 prints. (11.7x16.5").
The one before the 1200.

Now many have seen two prints behind glass next to each other which
appear to be identical. One silver or color darkroom C print or ciba
type. And behind the other glass is the inkjet print. Behind the glass
your odds are guessing right are 50 50. Say they are around 11x14. Your
odds of guessing right are 50 50. That is unless the darkroom print is
11x14 and the inkjet print is 11.7x16.5" !!
And lets not forget those inkjet printers which make very large mural
sized prints. And with Photoshop in a way its another art form in a way
they overlap and blend together seamlessly.

No to think of digital photography as a poor mans silver photography or
second rate is to really get off on the wrong foot on how this whole
thing is going down I feel positive about this!  :)
":)" means I think I'm being to subtly funny to be noticed. Its like a
laugh track on the Lucy and Desi show. Tells you when to laugh. I now
recall hearing about how they are all dead people. That would be a whole
new spin on the sitcom industry except of course they recorded all their
laughing before the grim reaper showed up on their doorstep.

"Candygram"

What i like about the whole digital inkject thing is the accessibility.
When i was a kid i was the only kid with a darkroom As a matter of fact
I was the only kid i ever knew anywhere with a darkroom.
Now the Grammer schools are filled with computers with Photoshop in it
and inkjet printers and kids who know how to use them.
I think the print size of choice is 8.5x11".

I will not miss the demise of the 4x6" G*d D**n Sn*pshot!

"Girl Scout Cookies"

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com