Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica service in Belgium
From: "Bas" <bas@baswip.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:51:15 +0200

Gregoire,

Why not try Photo Alpha in Brussels. They have their own repair guy instead
of te Beukelaer. I've had a bad experience with them recently. I brought in
my M2 and 50mm summicron. The problem was that my Summicron was extremely
flare sensitive and not a good performer overall. The shop thought it would
be good to sent in the M2 as well for a check-up. I also sent them a strip
of negative clearly showing the error and indicating that this strip had
been shot on my M7, not the M2.

I got back an estimate of ?470,- in repairs on the M2. Not a single
mentioning of a problem on the Lens. I called them, asked them to recheck
since I'm not going to pay that much and not have my problem solved. They
tested said the lens was fine. If anything there could be problem with the
M7.

I asked for the items back without repair so I can do my own testing again
both on the body and on the lens.

Result.

The summicron does indeed flare on both the M2 and the M7 so it's a bad one
and I need to determine if anyone can fix it economically or get a new one.

The M2 has a light leak in the shutter but so small that it doesn't show
unless you point your camera up to the bright belgium sky for 30 minutes,
which I did as a test. On all other frames no problem as long as you put the
lens cap on in case a longer pause. So that repair can wait until it gets
worse.

So those people have no clue as to what they are talking about, my business
goes elsewhere. Brings up the point that the US repair parts policy that has
so recently caused an uproar on the LUG needs to be implemented in Europe as
well. These importers or agents take us users for a ride and we have almost
nowhere to go. No Sherry Krauters here unfortunately. I'm now sending my
camera and lens to Alpha in Brussels. See what their guys says about it?

Br
Bas