Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital make over: comments?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:51:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/03 1:25:49 AM, firkin@ncable.net.au writes:

<< 2. Keep your film based system, but instead of having prints made, go

to a Fuji based shop, where they scan the negatives before printing

anyway. These files are quite good enough for a 10 x 8 print, will

allow you to catelog your images, and save you a fortune in high end

digital cameras. Continue using slides on your trips and put the money

you save into a top film scanner with slide feeder attachment to catch

up on your previous trips. Get a good 4 to 5 megapixel point and shoot

compact digital camera, use the lab to print digital files, and try it

out for 12 to 24 months: if you become a digital sort of guy, you can

now invest in the digital SLR, which will eventually save you money on

film anyway. >>
- -----------------------------------------------------
Let's do a denken-experiment: Suppose digital technology didn't go beyond the
computer, would you be able to live indefinitely with traditional film?
That's a key question because its answer is probably, yes. Just because we now have
something that looks like an alternative to traditional film, should we jump
whole hog into it?
If the answer to the prior question was, yes, then we have our answer to the
second question, no.

The next natural question is: Of what use is digital to the photographer?
Logic tells us that it is useful, but in which ways. In my bark (experience)
digital is the best way to broadcast images, not store them. The negative is the
best way to preserve an image. A well-made silver print is the best way to
conserve an image in the historical sense.

IMHO, don't change your modus operandi in the creation of images. Modify your
modus operandi in the immediate distribution of images; that is, embrace
digital in that function.

I agree that use of a pro-sumer digital like the Olympus 5050, the Canon G5,
or the Nikon 5400 makes sense for Polaroid-like work. I use a 5050. But I have
no illusions about the output. It's a ticket to a movie, not real life.

Best,
br