Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing 19mm R; Kodachromes and 81 (KR) filters
From: David Prakel <david@photopartners.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:25:49 +0100

On 3/8/03 3:25 pm, "Martin Krieger"
<owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

> 1.With the 19mm R, after the 5 meter mark I have no idea if I am in better
> focus there or at infinity for most of my "scenics" which begin say 20 feet
> or more in front of me. I use the grid screen (so perhaps I would do better
> with a split image etc screen?). Would I get sharper pix using an M/.58 with
> the 21 mm.  Think in terms of very great enlargement, where one is trying to
> discern a particular detail.

Martin

The 19mm Elmarit has a massive depth of field even wide open however to
maximise depth of field I have worked out the hyperfocal distance for the
19mm at various apertures:

2.8  4.3m
4  3.0m
5.6  2.1m
8  1.5m
11  1.1m
16  0.8m
22 0.5m

This is based on a circle of least confusion of 0.03mm and thus based on
acceptable sharpness for a 10x8inch print.

> 2. I am trying to understand the difference between the Kodachromes 64 and
> 200. I find the 200 to be more open and airy, so to speak, not blocking up
> shadowy areas, even more latitude in the highlights. Is this correct. I
> gather that the 200 is more magenta in its balance, and this deals with the
> overly blue  (UV caused) images I get with 64.
>   Also, and 81A seems not to be enough to deal with the blueness. What do
> you recommend.

Personally I find that I cannot use K200 when the sun is out - it has a
steely blueness that I find very unattractive. If 81A is not enough go for
81B or 81C. I hate to admit it but I've always shot through UV filter on all
my Leica lenses with the exception of the 19mm. Unless you are shooting at
altitude I wouldn't blame UV for the blueness in K200 - I've had the same
shooting in Egypt where Elitechrome 100 Extra Colour (I hate to say) produce
acceptable skies and sand whereas Kodachrome was toneless washed out sand
and grey skies (just like it was in reality!).

- --
Regards
David Prakel

Centre of Britain PhotoWorkshops Partnership
www.photopartners.co.uk

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Focusing 19mm R; Kodachromes and 81 (KR) filters)