Subject: Re: [Leica] Summaron 35/2.8 with Eyes
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:26:59 -0400

Jerry is right about the 35/2,8 Summaron, Greg. Unless I need the additional
stops, this lens is still my main 35mm user lens. Watch me get jumped now as
I tell this little secret: despite some residual field curvature at the
first two stops, as splendid a lens as is the first 8-glass 35/2 Summicron,
at equal apertures the Summaron has better contrast and resolution. A very
sharp lens. Both lenses show fall-off in contrast and resolution as you go
toward the edges of the image. And of course as himself, Erwin Puts has
acknowledged of Leitz lenses of the late 50's and through the 60's, the
quality of its optical and mechanical construction was probably only matched
by Zeiss and, perhaps, Kern.

Seth