Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Picture alteration
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:39:36 -0700

Larry Z told us:
> The extreme case:
>
> As a young photojournalist, I worked for a photo editor who told me he
would
> never publish a picture taken with anything but a "normal" lens unless it
> was absolutely necessary.  He believed that the role of the photographer
was
> transport the reader to the location in which the event occured and
present
> the scene as if it could be directly viewed. The camera was the reader's
eyeball
> surrogate. Any perspective distortion was editorializing, an unforgivable
> sin in newspaper work.<<<

First re-action..... Bull s!

WOW! sure a strange perspective for a photo-editor!

I've worked for some weird photo editors in my day but this guy sounds like
an over educated art school college boy. So what did the football pictures
look like on the published pages?  Ants over grass?

I mean there are so many situations where a wider angle or tele is required
to allow the reader to see the scene as it existed a 50 mm lens just can't
do. Must have been a strange looking picture paper .
ted