Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:12:15 -0700

Thanks Eric.
That clears the air nicely.

You're nearly correct. :)

But "fast" (aperture) has nothing to do with it.
Your eye sees the same "fine adjustment" in the rangefinder regardless of
the aperture (or focal length) of the lens.

The difference with an SLR ( as you note) is that the long lens magnifies
the image in the viewfinder, and thereby allows us to see differences
between much finer adjustments.

For techies: the viewfinder magnification in the SLR increases the effective
baseline making it easier to focus long lenses.

Can we stop now? I promise to keep quiet as my contribution.

Mike Quinn