Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Kevin H <kevin@2image.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:44:43 -0400

Taste's Great!
Less Filling!

Y'all  are arguing about 2 different things:

Distance or focus at the film plane (COC)?

1.  Rangefinder:  Measures distance.  Doesn't care what lens is on the
camera, or even if you leave the lens cap on.  Precision remains
constant for the rangefinder. Feet is feet.

2.  Focusing system: At the filmplane.  No confusion,  we're measuring
the COC.  Focusing accuracy is the end result of  the rangefinder system
or the TTL system.  Since a tele is magnifing the rangefinder's
precision (and magnifying the eye and mechanical errors) -- it becomes
less accurate at greater focal lengths.  The SLR's precision is a
function of the viewing f'stop.

Everybody is 'right'  -- just talking about different things.

Kev

Replies: Reply from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)
Message from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)