Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:29:27 -0400

Just got home to find that this thread is still going strong.  Not for the first time, I find myself reading replies to messages
that I never received in the first place.

Anyway, Eric I'm not sure if you saw my earlier posts, but the main point is this. A rangefinder, such as the one in an M, has a
fixed base and magnification, which sets practical limits to its ability to measure distance. This *DOES NOT* have anything to do
with the lens mounted on the camera.

Let us say you focus on an object at a distance p away. The rangefinder, for any number of reasons, may actually be at p +/-  D,
where D is a small deviation from the true distance. I think we can agree that if D is not small the RFDR is useless. D is a
function of the design, construction and tolerances of the RFDR assembly and lens coupling; it may also be a (slowly varying)
function of P. If the deviation D can be covered by the DOF the image appears sharp. Note that as you increase focal length and
aperture, DOF reduces while D remains the same for it is a parameter of the RFDR only. At some stage the DOF will not be adequate to
cover deviations from the true object distance and the images will appear to be unsharp or focussed on the wrong spot. Note that the
accuracy of the RFDR is not increasing with wide angle lenses, rather the longer focal length/wider aperture lenses require a lower
D than designed  and built into the RFDR.

In SLR's, OTOH, you are using the lens to focus through and as focal length increases, not only does the baselength increase, but
the magnification also increases making the effective base even greater. The crossover occurs at around 90 mm with Leicas, but at a
longer focal length with Contaxes. Hope this helps.