Subject: [Leica] RE: [Leica] Voigtländer question
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:18:00 -0400

ITT? The 60s? DITA BEARD!!!!!! :-)

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Christer
Almqvist
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 4:07 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtländer question

>At 08:50 PM 7/30/03 +0200, Christer Almqvist wrote:
>>Perhaps the family should have focused more on running the business
>>than on how people spell their name?
>
>The family had not owned the company for thirty years when this press
>release was issued   They sold out at a premium early-on and have
missed
>the entire problem with the conversion to digital.  (To be honest, a
>number of the Voigtländer family are employed by Rolleiflex, and there
>were a number of intermarriages between the Voigtländer and Franke and
>Heidecke
>families.)
>
>Marc

Why on earth did they worry about the spelling of the company name at
all then? Thirty years after they had sold it.

While working for ITT in the sixties, a period when ITT bought a
large number of family owned businesses, I came across a few guys who
thought they could have both the money and a say in the company the
just had sold. It seldom took them more than thirty DAYS to realize
that things don't work like that even if you have been given a seat
on the board a funny title like consultant or something like that
(usually to keep the selling price down, we always thought).

Thirty years...

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist