Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Finished
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:16:37 -0400

I didn't read the article, having dial-up, and reading the "caution" in the
original post.

However, here's my take on why film will be around and plentiful for a long
time:

Disposable Cameras.

I bet that a huge percentage of film sold these days is in these babies.  Ever
go to a tourist area and see how many of these are around?  Weddings?  Company
parties and functions?  Seems to be a big trend these days to throw a disposable
or two at each table, and invite the guests to take pics of the party, and throw
the cams in a bag on the way out, so the hosts can get them developed.

Until they figure out a way to make a $10 digital camera, the ~very~ casual
photographer will buy three disposables a year - holidays, birthdays, and
Christmas/Hannukah/whatever-your-tradition-calls-mid-winter-festival.  As long
as they sell, Kodak will make film for them.  As long as they do that, they'll
sell film in boxes.

Of course, whether they continue to make Tri-X is a whole other issue.

regards,
frank

Ted Bayer wrote:

> Hi Ernie:
>
> I don't believe a word of it - film and film cameras will be around a lot
> longer than many of us on this list.  Digital is fine for those who want it,
> and can afford it (yes, there are large costs involved in the initial
> purchase and ongoing upgrading to newer cameras and mandatory software) but
> how about the billions of people in this world that use film?  How about all
> the new film cameras coming on market all the time?  And they are selling
> well.
>
> Let's get off this doom and gloom marathon folks and go out and use our
> Leicas.  Film and film cameras are still king to the masses, and will be for
> a long time.
>
> My 2 cents.

- --
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer

Replies: Reply from "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo Finished)
Message from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo Finished)