Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V25 #113
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:37:43 EDT

<<With that good stuff, Ken, forget about the CL, in my opinion...and I

owned one for years...it's a real pooch.  My advice is keep the kit trim

and see what you can do without any bag at all!>>

I respectfully disagree. I've used a CL (actually the Minolta version) with
the 40mm f2 and a Canon Serenar 100mm f3.5 (with screw to M adapter) as a
lightweight casual traveling kit for 25 years. It really does fit in a pocket and
can be carried without requiring a spinal readjustment. The camera has been a
paragon of reliability. I understand that the early CLs had teething problems
and exhibited a great deal of variability but mine was one of the last made and
by that time the problems were sorted out. Why a 100mm Canon? This tiny lens
is one of the best short telephotos made, bar none. Try one and see. And the
viewfinder frame exactly matches the 100mm ange of view. Apparently it was
slightly undersized for the 90mm to give a margin for error (or manufacturing
tolerances). Focusing at short range with the 100mm wide open requires a good deal
of care since it is pushing the limits of the short rangefinder base, but
then who uses a telephoto at distances under 10 feet.

Larry Z