Subject: RE: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:04:55 -0400

Here we go. Doug, I didn't say these features were essential for YOU, or
any one individual. Nor did I say that if it provides what the
photographer wants, the R system isn't great.

What I said was, and I say again, that it is utterly ludicrous to make a
statement such as "to claim the R8-9 cameras are anything less than the
very best and most capable optical instruments in 35mm photography is
ignoring fact." Or to say that about ANY camera for that matter.

As to 10fps - I know that my son, and every other professional
skateboard photographer shooting sequences, consider the high-speed
motor essential. As to the other features, if you don't need them, fine.
There are people who do - not because they are incompetent, as you
imply, but because they find that these features make their work easier
for them.

Keep in mind, there's a hell of a difference between shooting birds, and
shooting when you're being shot at - and in the later circumstances,
there are any number of photographers who would find stabilization
lenses and autofocus a Godsend. And then there are those who wouldn't.
;-)

B. D.