Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG metallurgist
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:39:28 +0100

Hi Dennis - this is getting really OT - but Titanium is actually not an
ideal choice of material in most parts of a racing car. It is suitable
for bolts and studs in some places, and join inserts. High alloy
aluminium is a better choice in most places because the specific
strength is very close and it is MUCH easier to machine, and cheaper.
Titanium shares the same specific stiffness (stiffness per weight
simply) with most metals (berillium is a notable exception) so anywhere
where stiffness is the limiting factor all metal parts will be the same
weight at the same stiffness unless the geometry is changed. Carbon
composites are better than all the metals for everywhere the
temperature is appropriate - cost is an issue(!) to the extent that an
agreement has been reached to limit its use in some engine parts,
engine speeds will be up to 20,000 RPM by the end of this season anyway.
IMO Magnesium is a horrible material. It is weak, brittle but soft, has
high thermal expansion and corrodes badly. When I changed my EOS D30
for a D10 it was the one thing which made me hesitate. An aluminium
internal skeleton with a polycarbonate external shell is a MUCH better
choice IMO, but MUCH more expensive to manufacture and has an inferior
marketing image.
I am the FIA technical delegate for Thoroughbred Grand Prix cars and
the biggest problem in these cars is the deterioration of magnesium
parts.
I believe you are right wrt Ag and Cu. My knowledge is very skewed now
- - it is a long time since I had a general education - and whilst I have
a reasonable knowledge of the materials used in racing cars I don't
know much about others! I am still disgusted by the marketing page of
the people selling Ti cookware though.
cheers
Frank