Subject: Re: [Leica] Four new PAWs
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:13:22 -0500

Ted -

Thanks for the comments! I don't agree with all of them but that's
just artistic difference.

>1: OLD GUY.  I'd have used a wider aperture to soften down the distracting
>background and get rid of as much clutter as possible, at least soften it
>with the wider aperture of a longer lens if available. Like get back from
>him and use the longer lens to help blow out the back ground.

Unfortunately not possible with the M7 as it's only 1/1000. I should
remember to bring along some ND filters to allow me to blow out
highlights easier. I'm too used to the 1/8000 speed on my EOS-3 and
forget that I can't do f/2.0 @  1/4000 with ISO 100 film. :-)

>The lemonade picture has several distracting elements. One, the gal's head
>lower right side big distraction or if you saw it happen, re-shoot it as a
>second exposure  immediately if you were taken with the scene.

I agree. I took several shots of the scene but that was the best,
unfortunately. The scene was a visual pun, but nothing more...

Kelly Farm Washbasin
>1: You didn't hold the camera straight by lining up the right and left sides
>within the viewfinder with the frame of the window which inturn illustrates
>bad camera handling no matter how wonderful the jug is and would have been
>with this small correction.

This I have to disagree vehemently. The diagonals are part of the
look here. I guess it's a function of my being from the MTV
generation.

>2: Basket: Toooo bad! :-(
>As there's so much potential here if you had bent your knees and got down
>for a better angle and tightened the cropping to eliminate the background
>right side junk.

I'll have to agree with you on this one! :-)

Karen

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Four new PAWs)