Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 wanna-be owner questions
From: rdcb37@cyberone.com.au
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:36:57 +1000

As for the ROM contacts, I read in a LF magazine a few years ago that
more use is made of the aperture setting being communicated than meets
the eye in the viewfinder, or the flash zoom setting.

 From that article, this is what I understand:

- -  the ROM chip records the actual measured full aperture value of the
lens which is passed on, to the camera directly or via a converter or
focussing module if using one.  This way the camera knows what it's
wearing and its speed, to use this in calculating exposures.

- -  the aperture setting is used to speed up the camera's operation, ie,
it takes less time for the aperture blades to reach their closed
position if being used at a wide aperture and the shutter timing will
be adjusted accordingly.

As I said, these points are my understanding from reading what was
translated technical speak

Do I notice any problems with my non ROM lenses vs my ROM lenses?  No.
In my view my best lens is my only non ROM lens, being the f2.8 100mm
APO Macro Elmarit.  A lens worth getting into Rs with.  But the new 90
Summicron APO is looking good.

Regards, Rick Dykstra, 'Straya.