Subject: Re: [Leica] This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!
From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:29:21 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, Ted, I too thought Jim's images were fantastic.
He had asked me for when the moonrise was going to be
where he lived (Boston) and of course the times I have
him weren't very accurate :-/ Fortunately he had the
company of his son for an even longer than expected
time; so it turned out for the best :-) And the photos
are a tribute to Jim's patience and skill.

For those of you interested in software to see when
the moonrise and sunset are close together, the phase
of the moon, as well as a ton of other astronomical
stuff, the Planetarium shareware program works with
the Palm OS and is outstanding. There are many other
packages out there...

Here's a good link for a number of different astronomy
software packages with links to each:
http://www.seds.org/billa/astrosoftware.html

Here's a link to the Planetarium for Palm site. It's
shareware:
http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/

Michael Riechmann in his Luminous Landscape Journal
has this video clip about Planetarium:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/video_clips6.shtml

Bob
- --- Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I keep track of moon rise & sunset times and what I
> watch for is the closest
> time between the sun setting and the moon rising.
> When this happens along
> with a full moon it's a "do not miss this happening"
> for interesting
> photographs, particularly  shooting over a water
> situation, IE: lake, river,
> ocean whatever. Hey even a duck pond! ;-)

=====
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
rgacpa@pacbell.net