Subject: RE: [Leica] 50mm Summicron
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:51:28 -0400

Well, Karen, you may find built-in shades convenient, but...

1.  They do not provide as much shade because telescoping shades aren't
as deep as clip-ons.

2.  Telescoping shades just will not stay extended; they retract with
the slightest pressure.

3.  They do not protect the lens from bumps.  A clip-on shade will
absorb considerable shock and break away when bumped hard, providing
that much more protection to the lens barrel.

4.  If you think Leica clip-on shades are expensive, imagine what it
will cost to send your lens to New Jersey to have a telescoping shade
replaced if damaged!

5.  If damaged, telescoping shades cannot be replaced with third party
units.

	However, this is only my opinion, I know some people who
absolutely swear by...not at...built-in shades.  With the exception of
poor Frank Filippone, of course, we can all agree that even the worst
telescoping shade is better than the 11250!

		Buzz Hausner