Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:29:17 -0700

Gary Williams wrote:

> The simple fact is Leica is running out of many spare parts after all
> of
> these years of support.  Leica is in a no win situation with this.
> Eliminating sales of parts to individuals may not be the result the
> Leica
> classic user wants in the short term, however, it's the only decision
> that
> makes any sense from a company perspective.  Eliminating sales of
> dwindling
> parts inventory to individuals insures that Leica has access to any
> remaining stock so that Leica is in a better position to continue its
> support of its antique models.

(Sigh)

There is a BIG difference between (A) announcing that they are ceasing
production of spare parts for camera models that have been out of
production for more than, say, 15 years, and (B) announcing that they
are no longer going to sell ANY spare parts of any kind (current models
or not) to anyone -- and that you have to send your camera to Leica NJ
instead.

(A) we don't have a problem with.  (B) we do.  See previous messages in
this thread.

M.