Subject: RE: [Leica] It's all pots and pans now...
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:35:21 -0400

I was at a party like this once, at least I think I was.  I don’t
entirely remember.

As a longtime cooking fetishist (I rented a U-haul and drove to New
Jersey to fetch back my late 60s vintage six-burner, double oven Crown
Empress range), I can say this: the most “fantastic” set of cookware
that you can dangle from you pot rack will reflect your deep
understanding of the unique properties of each sort of material and its
specific application to various cooking processes.  So, you’ll have an
array of hand-hammered copper sauciers and sauce pans of different
capacities and heights (to control the loss of liquid in simmering),
you’ll have sautéuse and sauté pans of copper, steel, iron, and
non-stick; you’ll have a variety of enamelware (of the La Creuset type),
and this is only what inebriated Luggers will *see*, because what you’ll
really have are cardboard boxes, cabinets, racks, drawers, and trunks
full of baking sheets, molds, fish cookers, bain maries, bundt pans,
spring-form pans, egg coddlers, roasting racks, trussing needles,
basters, skewers, spits, and the Lord what else, and only YOU will
visualize all this in your mind’s eye.

And we ain’t even got to appliances, woks, steamers, hand-cranked
shredders, mandolins and slow cookers yet, not to mention knives,
cleavers, sharpening irons, and meat saws.

Ah, le batterie de cuisine, so much stuff to covet, so little time
actually to use it.

Only sissies buy “sets” of anything, except, perhaps, of steak knives.

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
History and American Studies
College of William and Mary