Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW...for last week
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:46:35 -0400

Jack,

Your comment is just what I wanted to hear. There is a tendency I think for
photographers to relive their own memories around a particilar image,
without being able to "step back" and judge the image "cold", as you put it.
The danger is to read in more than what is actually captured in the image.

As for searching for the perfect film, yes, that is what I am doing. When I
was an art student so many years ago I used Tri-X almost exclusively,
developed in D76. But after about 15 years of not shooting any B&W to speak
of, I've started up again. Mainly due to subscribing to the LUG and being
inspired by other's wonderful work ;-). As for developers, I have to come
clean and let you know I use my local pro dealer. I don't have access to
good darkroom facilities, and with a full time job and three kids etc I'd
rather wait 4 days for my negs and not spend hours banging metal tanks on
hard surfaces! But I think I am going to shoot more TCN. I can get that done
at my local grocery store for 1/3 the cost of standard B&W, and I like the
results. And FP4 for when I want finer grain.

Thanks for your comments.

jm