Subject: Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:43:54 -0700

><Snip>
> Perhaps the new Olympus E-1 digital SLR system with body and lenses
> especially designed for the 4/3 system (18mm x 13.5mm, a bit smaller
> than the Canon D30/D60/D10 sensor) allowing for smaller and lighter
> lenses will provide many of those qualities in a DSLR.  We'll see.
> Perhaps you could wait and check that out.  Meanwhile, I am "making
> do" with a digital SLR, using prime lenses.   Here's a shot over the
> weekend with the D10, with a 28mm lens: (My brother peering out his
> bathroom window).
>
> http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/Misc/crw_4682-khanh.htm
> (Comments, critiques, etc. welcome as always)
>
> - Phong

I'm didn't get prime lenes either, Phong, with my D100. I have about 4
lenses now and need about another 4.
In the end I'll probably get a variable aperture zoom for vacations as
they are too cheap to pass up.
.. and they zoom. ... and I don't.

I'm looking hard at the 28 1.4 with everybody telling be to just get the
2.8 zoom.
I think I'll take the road less zoomed upon. I get a very good vibe from
this lens which gives me a 42 mm focal length on the digital camera as
close to perfect as i can imagine. And  f1.4 is a very nice f stop
especially when its a viable F stop which you can shoot with. Any f 1.4
zooms yet?

I thought about going Olympus I'd be saving a ton of cash. (different
lenses i thought they didn't come off a boom for the absent minded) But
on the other hand with my D100 and lenses I'm also building for myself a
viable SLR analog system; (film)( I just put the 1.5 tele adaptor on the
camera:) and with superhigh synch speeds and flashes which are proven in battle.
I don't think this competes with getting a Leicaflex SL and some lenses.

I thought i was the only non zoomer around here in the digital thing.
Why not you, Phong?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com