Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] M6 Titanium or Titanized?
From: "Jack Herron" <jherron@theriver.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:29:38 -0700

I think the "Titanized" could be considered a derisive term coined by
someone who was misled by Leica advertising into believing that the camera
was MADE of titanium, just as I was.  Nothing in the ads indicated that the
titanium was just a crisp, thin sugar shell.  Rather like advertising an
item as "gold" when it is really zinc with gold plate.  The titanium may
well be the very best coating ever applied to a Leica, but if I buy a
"titanium" watch, the case is actually made of titanium, not just painted
with titanium, and the ads from Leica mirrored the watch ads at the same
time and led one to believe that the titanium was a construction material
and never revealed that it was merely a coating.  In the circumstances I
think Titanized is appropriate and probably preferable to "cam sham scam".
Jack Herron
8118 E. 20th St.
Tucson, AZ 85710
520 885-6933