Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Titanium or Titanized?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:14:33 -0400

Karen Nakamura wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm reading with great pleasure about the debates regarding the Canon
> 10D (which I find a bit large for my hards) and the Leica M - which I
> find just a bit heavy.
>
> I've been idly thinking these days about the M6 Titanium and went to
> Leica's web page to read about it. There, I was much surprised to find
> that the M6 top and bottom plates were "Titanized" and weren't made out
> of titanium at all.  Leica says it was some way of spray coating
> titanium as a plating surface onto  the zinc magnesium body.
>
> So is it true that the M6 Titanium isn't:
>  * Lighter
> or
>  * Stronger
>
> than the standard M6? What a disappointment!  I imagine a lot of folks
> would have paid a premium for a lighter/stronger titanium body.

Karen,

Snicker if you will over the titanium body, but it is the strongest,
most scratch resistant body I have ever seen. You won't be wearing the
finish off this one anytime soon, belive me. I think it is too bad Leica
postioned the titanium finish as a sort of boutique thing, as I think it
would have been a logical addition to the standard chrome and black
finishes as a standard production item.

BTW, I don't think anyone ever claimed that this body was solid
titanium, any more than the black or chrome bodies are solid anything.
These are all finishes that are applied to the underlying brass or zinc
body parts.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Allen Graves <ahgraves@prodigy.net> (Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration)
Message from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration)
Message from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> ([Leica] M6 Titanium or Titanized?)