Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:51:28 -0700

Nelson Chan aked:
Focusing a 75 1.4 .

> I shot one roll of film using my newly purchased 75/1.4.  50% are out of
> focus.  The subject was my 6 week old baby.  Distance is around .8 meters,
> aperture at wide open and focused on the nearest eye.  sometimes the eye
is
> out of focus but the chin is right on.  I don't know.  I might have made a
> mistake buying this lens.  Is it me or the lens?<<<<<<

Hi Nelson,
No it's not a mistake of purchase and no it's not your fault. It's the lens
and ones ability to focus it at f 1.4. If you like the look of the frames in
focus keep it.

But you must learn how to "use it!" That's the hard part.

Because that entails lots of practice, first with an empty camera focusing
many many times at all kinds of distance. Then buy some cheap film and blast
a bunch of rolls shooting everything at f 1.4. Eventually you'll acquire the
feel of being on the mark. However, even then this is a very unforgiving
lens wide open, so don't be surprised if you continue finding out of focus
frames..

If you find your throw outs are too high, sell the lens and buy something
easier to handle.
ted

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question)
Reply from "Nelson Chan" <cchan@info.com.ph> (Re: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question)