Subject: Re: [Leica] Now bulk loading
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:16:07 -0400

BD makes an excellent point (!) about economy vs The Possibility of a
Scratch: when someone else is paying (on those rare occasions when someone
wants to fund my fun), I buy factory film for the sake of eliminating (or
really, reducing) that potential source of trouble. I have reused cassettes
many times, probably, like Martin in his exhaustive (in the best sense)
description, I would not recommend what I do as opposed to what I say.

I use a dark closet to load my Lloyd type bulk loader, then load cassettes
in subdued room light. I never allow myself to take a prize winning photo as
the last exposure on a roll. Yeah, right.

Usually I shoot for fun, always chasing that elusive prize winner (I did win
a 1st prize this summer in a juried show), and so I shoot away and film is
cheap. The occasions when I have had the perfect picture ruined by a scratch
or other bulk-loading failure are I think far exceeded by failures of
imperfect focus or exposure, or processing problems, or my own printing
limitations.

Seems kind of funny, after all this, with discussing saving a buck a roll or
thereabouts on film to run through our thousand-dollar cameras to capture
light coming through our thousand dollar lenses. Somehow, it makes sense to
me.

bill h