Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Single Malt and Leica and Very OT
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:39:51 -0400

At 08:22 PM 7/16/03 -0600, Greg J. Lorenzo wrote:
>I suspect that Collins arguable brilliance emanates from the same rare
>cookbook's you were quoting from last week in the fascinating British
>Isles "hard cooked" versus "hard boiled" egg exchange. I suggest that
>you never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes you time and annoys the
>pig.

Greg

It is clear that something I said got under your skin, though I have no
idea what it might have been.  But kindly cease attempting to use personal
invective to bolster your shaky arguments.

The Soviets based their guerilla training on the IRA campaign of 1917 to
1922, and the study of this campaign was the basis of the training received
by Ho and Mao and Tito.  It would seem that the very persons you laud so
highly were simply applying the lessons written by the Big Fellow.

And you completely neglect the nature of British rule in Ireland.  It was
most arrogant, most self-assured, and most eager to respond to resistance
with great force.  It was almost completely uncorruptible which is what
makes the situation in Ireland radically different from other such
campaigns, most remarkably China and Cuba.  In 1917, probably 75% of the
Southern Irish supported continued British governance while working
peacefully towards some sort of Home Rule.  By 1919, less than 10% of the
Southern Irish felt this way, and governance by the Sinn Fein was a
reality.  This was not simply a matter of exploiting British errors, though
their attempt to extend Conscription to Ireland was perceived by most
Southern Irish as a direct insult.  Rather, Collins developed the
mechanisms for transferring the loyalty of the populace from the UK to the
Irish State.  Collins organized the Irish government, funded it without
confiscation, defended it without undue bloodshed, and showed the Irish and
the world that the Irish were indeed capable of self-governance.  (He was
also a magnificent pragmatist, which is why he was killed by former
compatriots fighting a war of politically unrealistic principles.)

I would recommend that you refresh your memory both by consulting any of
the modern works on insurgency operations or, better yet, reviewing modern
Irish scholarship, especially Tim Pat Coogan's books on Collins and the
Long Fellow, de Valera.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!