Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 flash sync
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:14:02 +0200

Lee,

the M7 curtains moves at the same speed at all exposure times.  It is
therefore somewhat risky to talk about "speed" or "exposure time" but
you know what I mean...

The different exposure times/speeds are achieved by varying the
(starting) time between the movements of the first and the second
curtain. In other words by varying the width of the space between the
curtains as they move across the film.

The 1/50 second "exposure time" for flash has a good reason: that is
the shortest exposure with the whole negative exposed at the same
time. Conventional flash goes off when the whole negative is exposed.
(Actually the exposure time could have been somewhat shorter, but
there is a bit of safety margin built in).

For short exposures only a small part (millimetes) of the negative
sees light at the same time. If you use conventional flash in that
situation, only a small part of the negative, namely that between
curtain one and curtain two at the time of flashing, will get exposed
by the light from the flash.

The setup you describe below solves the problem of partially exposed
negatives which result from conventional flash used at shutter speeds
shorter than 1/50 second. The solution used is to flash   many times
at very short intervals during a high speed shutter setting.  If the
curtain gap is 3 mm, you theoretically need 12 flashes to cover the
whole negative by flashed light,  I think they use a larger number of
flashes with overlapping to be on the safe side. The higher the
shutter speed , the narrower the curtain gap and the higher the
number of flashes needed. The mind boggles.

But Ms are not really for flash, they are for available light and
pushed Tri-X or HP5 or --

I say again

But Ms are not really for flash, they are for available light and
pushed Tri-X or HP5 or --

Chris

with apologies for being on topic.