Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:11:22 -0400

Adam brilliantly opined...
- ---
I think most of use seldom use more than what digital gives us. Do you
put your M on a tripod to shoot or only shoot at 1/1000th? If you don't
are you REALLY getting the full benefit of that Leica glass? I don't
think we do, I think we slip into the domain of digital imaging simply
by hand holding and shooting at slower shutter speeds, so we never
capture what we might otherwise achieve.

Adam
- --

Allow me to be blunt, and a wee bit rude - I rarely, if ever - see
images posted here - and I of course include my own in this comment -
that could not easily have been created with virtually any other brand
of interchangeable lens camera. For that matter, most of the iconic
which have, over the decades, been shot with Leicas could just as easily
be shot with any other brand of camera. As Adam notes, it is the rare
photographer indeed who uses the equipment/film/processing/printing
combination necessary to eek out that Leica extra.

That doesn't mean that people should toss their Leicas and grab digitals
- - obviously there is more to the camera/photographer combination than
image resolving power. There are many things about Ms which may
contribute to the production of great images.

But Adam is smack on target when he says that most Leica produced images
could easily be duplicated with good digital equipment because most
Leica produced images do not begin to require the most out of Leica
equipment.

B. D.