Subject: Re: [Leica] No one would make liz taylor pimple free!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:40:42 -0700

on 07/15/03 6:14 PM, Martin Howard at mvhoward@mac.com wrote:

> Your point about truths being limited is absolutely spot on, but this
> requires a level of engagement on behalf of the recipient which I don't
> believe is there.

I think you don't give people enough credit. And those who take things at
face value, well, they read the National Enquirer and I can't do anything
about that, nor do I care to. I want to communicate with the people who do
think a little more than average - those are the ones who read. Newspapers,
books, thoughtful comments from people.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of unscrupulous photographers who don't have
the ethical standards journalists should have. To advance their careers,
make money, whatever. We owe it to ourselves to expose such frauds wherever
we can.

And we need to encourage those who practice documentary photography,
photojournalism, and straight photography to make clear to their readers and
viewers that standards they uphold. That way, people become more literate
and learn to distinguish between the trash an the treasure.

Why do we communicate? To teach! Not pridefully, but humbly.

Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"This Schulz probably grew up taking part in noisy burping contests, after
drinking gigantic amounts of beer and gorging himself on fried potatoes."

- - STEFANO STEFANI, Italy's under secretary for tourism, on a German deputy
in the European Parliament who had exchanged barbs with the Italian prime
minister.