Subject: [Leica] Focussing Noctilux and 75 Summulix in low light
From: Mitch Alland <malland@xsmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:40:46 +0700

Last night I tried to take portraits of three young women using the
Noctilux and the 75 Summilux on my M6 in low light which, with 400 ISO
film, required exposures of 1/15 sec. at f1.4 and 1/30 sec at f1.0.
Trying to focus on the eyes, I found it extremely difficult: the low
light and the relative large turning circle of the focussing ring of
these two lenses made it extremely difficult to tell when the eyes were
in focus. I also tried using the 1.25x magnifier but this did not seem
to make it any easier as it slightly darkens the viewfinder image. I
get the feeling focussing the M6 in such low light at the extremely
narrow DOF  of the 1.0-14 apertures of these lenses is a hit or miss
process.

Is there a solution to this problem other than rating the film at 800
ISO and shooting at, say, f2.0 to increase the DOF?

...and for Ted Grant: I wasn't drinking the Lagavulin, so that was not
the problem.

- --Mitch/Bangkok

Replies: Reply from "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> ([Leica] Re: Focussing Noctilux and 75 Summulix in low light)