Subject: RE: [Leica] Details about Salgado in Chicago
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:04:28 -0700

Arthur:  Thanks for the comments.  You are right, of course.  Intelligent
commentary and criticism is precious and welcome, and rare.  I was
referring to the kind of commentary that reeks of "I know more than
you.  Sit at my feet and learn, though you never will attain *my* level of
enlightenment."  Throw in some Latin or Greek, explain in polysyllabic
prose how the art answers once and for all the Meaning of Life.  It says
more about the reviewer than the reviewed.

This kind of thing is often employed to wrap art of all kinds into a
package where what's being sold is snob appeal, and the art becomes less
important than the hype.

Amen on Shaw and Kael.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA