Subject: Re: [Leica] Details about Salgado in Chicago
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:58:02 -0700

on 07/11/03 7:48 AM, bdcolen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> I suspect he  could have accomplished more had he
> remained an economist. I have come to believe - and have said this
> before - that the vast majority of documentary photography ultimately
> has very little impact outside the photo world.

I don't think so. He would be one of the few who has greater impact than the
rest. His exhibits and book sales are pretty impressive. And to counter your
argument, regardless of the lack of impact it may have, in many cases, what
would the world be without documentary photography?

As for working for the World Coffee Fund, I'm not sure he would have. He
would have been a tiny cog in a massive machine. Economists may help some
people optimize their financial portfolios, but I doubt he could have made
the coffee worker's lives better. I think he made the right choice. He is
unique in the world as a photojournalist. So I believe you are mistaken.
There is no way his long-term contribution to the world would have been
nearly as valuable.

- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA