Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:35:58 -0700

on 07/09/03 4:33 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> The F1 was said to be by Goldberg (who coined the term "hockey puck")
> much more "hockey puck like" than the Nikon F.
> Maybe he said "they made a better hockey puck."

I remember the quote, and Don knew what he was talking about if anyone on
this planet did on this subject.

I had a Canon F1 (original) for a while back in the 70s. It was truly the
equal of any camera in terms of toughness. One repairman told me about how
one person dropped one down a mountain. Pried the broken prism off with a
piton and went on to take pictures using the focusing screen like a medium
format camera. No problems at all, photos were perfect.

Most cameras of this century would die of fright on the way down. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut