Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:11:19 -0400

At 11:19 PM 7/8/03 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Actually, eggs are a better example - if you order breakfast at your average
>hotel or Transport Cafe across the Atlantic, unless they are used to
>Americans, if you ask for your eggs "over easy" or "sunny side up", you'll
>either get a blank stare or whatever the chef feels like giving you.

The terms for the only conceivably decent manner of eating hot eggs by
themselves -- coddled or scrambled -- work just fine on both sides of the
Great Pond, though the Lowland Scots occasionally use "jumbled" for our
"scrambled".  The USian "hard-boiled" is the British Isles "hard-cooked",
but, again, they will understand the USian useage.  No one but the lowest
of the low could ever eat a fried egg, so who would or could want to know
the proper terms for such horrible concoctions?

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions)