Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:43:56 -0700

Christopher Williams wrote:

> [...]
The 50mm 1.8 I was mentioning says "made in China" at the bottom of it.
It's appearance had been drastically improved as i had an old one one of
the first AF's. No window. All black.
Its performance is legend and has been for a while.

My and our revered Summicron 50 has not done well agonist tests against
Canaan and other lenses from other companies.
Perhaps the Summicron is an older "formula" if that's the term.
We don't care about the "sharpness" we care about it's many other
qualities. It solidly has the Leica look.
There's not another lens I'd rather shoot with in most occasions.
I bet they redesign the 50 Summilux before they redesign the 50
Summicron though.

Anyway i cringe when i think of what a lens test between this hundred
dollar made in china 1.8 from Nikon might show against our Summicron.
The 1.8 could easily be sharper. And might have other embarrassing
strong points.
Might be hurting in the bokeh department I'll tell you later today I'll
focus it on my black German shepherd Elmo.

I thought  about getting the thousand dollar F100 which really is a
professional camera although deceptively less like the D100 then the N80.
There was 20 used F5's all in a row underneath the top counter of the
glass case. All appear to have been used by pros. Ominous, They should
put them in little wooden coffin boxes.
In other words perhaps it is not the best time to be investing in analog
cameras. Cameras with tubes in them. Also the Hasselblad case was
overflowing with cut rate Zeiss glass which was twice the price 6 months ago.

Today i put the MB-D100 Multi function batter pack on the bottom of my
D100. It involves twisting the doors off the battery compartments in the
camera which takes nerves of steel and focussed concentration. You
really do think you're are breaking the camera.
The cameras now looks like a very impressive professional camera made my
Mattel (Hot Wheels, Barbie) when you feel the plastic.
Not a bop around camera anymore. I'm not about to get another D100 to
have in it's compact version.
But i might get another $400 N80 and leave it small and light. And
packable. With it's battery doors not twisted off.

Yesterday at my favorite bookstore i ran into one of the coolest gals
I've known for a while who shoots weddings in IR with a Rolleiflex. I
asked her if she was doing any 35mm she says yes she uses a N80!

I didn't know she shot Nikon. She didn't know I shot Nikon!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons)