Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:10:50 -0600

> Marc
>
> I have found that at least in the UK, I can get my beefsteak by
> ordering it as "au point" or "bleue".  (Forgive the spelling, bitte).
> They know the French words, not the American.  Strange, no?

err... strange? Certainly not. France is 22 miles away, the US... a whole
ocean. You can SEE France on a clear day. I'd wager more Brits holiday and
travel back and forth to France than the US. There is a centuries old back
and forth (including inter-marriage) between the Channel ports and fishing
villages on both sides. And ever heard of the Normans and 1066? There's an
awful lot of French in the English language. But heaven forbid that other
parts of the world would fail to follow and comprehend US custom... :-)

tim

Replies: Reply from "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions)