Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Ireland Suggestions?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:11:48 -0400

At 02:07 PM 7/7/03 -0700, David Young wrote:
>Frank Filippone wrote:
>
>>In / near Cork.... There is a small harbor.. I forget the name... but the
>>best for gourmet  food in Ireland and the small boat marina is quite
pleasant.

>And very picturesque, too.  You're thinking of Kinsale, I'll bet!
>
>While near Cork, got to nearby Cobh (pronounced Cove).  Also very
picturesque.

Cobh is historic for several reasons:

First, it was the last port at which TITANIC landed prior to her
unfortunate meeting with that iceberg, way back in April of '12.

Second, it was the port for which LUSITANIA was making when she was
torpedoed and sunk, an event which, ultimately, caused the US to enter the
First War.

A squadron of US Navy destroyers was based there in First World War.

The Treaty of '22 granted the British basing rights at Cobh, surrended by
Chamberlain in 1938.  Through the early years of the War, Churchil
campaigned for a unilateral seizure of Cobh to allow basing of British
escorts.  At one point, he even asked Franklin Roosevelt to seize the area,
before the US became entangled in the Second War.  (Churchill was
presuming, because Woodrow Wilson discounted the impact of Irish votes in
the US, that FDR was equally blind.  While FDR detested de Valera and his
government, he was not blind to the cohesive voting of American of Irish
descent for the Democrat party at that time.)

I agree that Kinsale is a grand visit, but I would hold that the finest
seafood can be found in Westernport.  But, then, I am prejudiced, as my
Riley forebears emigrated through that venue.  And I had a grand time there
two years back, debating politics over Guiness with a Jesuit Priest who had
formerly taught at West Virginia University and who knew the building in
which my office is located.  He was a FAR Left nut, but a fascinating
fellow for the all of it.)

The Ring of Kerry is a bit of a tourist trap but it is worth taking the
tour, if only to see the vista that Queen Victoria ruled to be the finest
in her Empire.  Limerick cannot be missed, especially the Castle.  The
Anglican Cathedral is a magnificent site for photoraphy, with its
13th-century architecture.  (The Church of Ireland (Anglican) got all the
old buildings;  the Catholic churches are much newer and rather
nondescript.  The sole exception is the Chapel Royal at Dublin Castle:  the
Papists purged that one as soon as they could after Independence, and with,
admittedly, understandable reasons.)

You MUST see Beul na mBlath in County Cork.  This is the site where the
real father of Irish independence, Michael Collins, aka, Micael ņ Cuillean
or "the Big Fellow", was assasinated on 8 AUG 22.  It is almost impossible
to find but, as Collins was from West Cork, a half-hour of asking
directions will get you there, and he still has many who love him.  (de
Valera's guys got to draft the road maps, which ignore Beul na mBlath,
while Collins' people seem to still control the Post Office, as the
exhibits at the GPO in Dublin make much of Collins but ignore Dev's epic
resistance some miles away.)

And see Tara, north of Dublin.  And, in Dublin, the necessary sites include
St James' Gate (Guiness), Dublin Castle, and the General Post Office, as
well as the site where Nelson's Column was blown away in 1966, now occupied
by a monument to Jim Larkin, the great Labour leader.

There are two grand whiskey tours, one at the Jameson's Distillery in Cork
and the other at the Bushmill's site in Ulster, though I didn't make that.
The Irish Rebellion was fueled on Jameson's, as was Broadcast Media:
Collins was a whiskey drinker and would bring a bottle to his meetings with
the buoys, while Marconi was a son-in-law of Jameson, and his creation of
the radio industry was paid for by the profit from legal poteen.

I will revisit the island soon.  It is a land of constant photo
opportunities, and a land of constantly changing light.  The Bridge at Mull
is a grand place to stop for lunch, and tell the Publican "tapa-leat" when
you leave, as most of the conversation therein is in the Gaelic.

Watch out for Breakfasts, though:  Irish sausage is as grotesque as is
British sausage.  Stick with the bacon, which is quite good.  The seafood
is often fresh-caught and even the smaller pubs have fine meals, though the
Irish concept of "rare" equates to the USian "Quite Well Done".

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Ireland Suggestions?)